A Small History of Villa de San Miguel
In the 1880's, the world famous author, Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894), lived here and,
inspired by the island "Todos Santos", penned the immortal classic, Treasure Island
(which brought him his fame in 1883).
In 1956, Don Tomas Robertson and Don Pepita Geffroy created the Association "Villa de San Miguel".
These lands were named long ago, before they were purchased from a man named Benigno Velequez.
Both Mr. Robertson and Mrs. Geffroy-Bitterlin supported the surfing and helped young boys
(no girls then) sponsoring various events, such as competitions here in the village as well
on the Island "Todos Santos", which is only 6 miles in front of us. Most of those "boys" are
still regulars visitors, a lot of them are now residents, and we welcome their grandkids
each year for the different competitions held here. We are the home of over 100 residents
from all over U.S. and Mexico.
In the late 1970's, a division between properties of the Robertson and Geffroy-Bitterilin
families was necessary. Don Tomas attended but due to his declining health, his grandson
Glenn took his position in coming to an agreement with Architect Jean Loup Bitterlin
Geffroy (Don Pepita's son) over the splitting of the properties. Today, Don Tomas' great
grandkids' are in charge of this village.
Villa de San Miguel is known the world over for the quality of the waves.
It is host to many national and international competitions.
Retrieved from the villadesanmiguel.com web site in December 2003
SIGN the Guestbook
VIEW the Guestbook